Call for ESL Teachers: Your Professional Development is So Important
Secondly if you pursue to be an experienced and effective teacher, you should take charge of training yourselves to be:
* aware of the philosophy of teaching and learning,
* efficient in drawing on and adapting content knowledge,
* capable of making decisions before, during and after every teaching and learning experience.
Consequently Professional development for you is critical. It is the responsibility of each teacher once they are in the context of the workplace.
Professional development means:
* The constant search for answers to questions which arise from the ever new circumstances in educational contexts as the years pass.
* Training for the purpose of keeping up to date with advancements in language teaching and research.
To be able to achieve the previous aims, there are a lot of resources available for teachers to become better-informed language teaching professionals such as:
(a) participating in professional language teaching associations,
(b) reading printed books and journals,
(c) participating in electronic discussion groups,
(d) making use of on-line teaching and learning resources,
(e) attending regular workshops and conferences,
(f) working collaboratively or contacting with experienced colleagues, and
(g) doing action research.