20 Tips to Foster Motivation in Your Students
1. Create a supportive environment where students are respected and feel a sense of belonging.
2. Believe in the ability of each student to learn.
3. Set up clear classroom rules from the very beginning and appreciate who follow them.
4. Be aware of the strengths of each student and focus on them not on their weaknesses.
5. Use your students’ interests, talents and goals to encourage them to learn.
6. Maintain disciplined, organized and calm classroom to increase your students’ concentration.
7. Vary your teaching methods and make the lessons interesting and enjoyable.
8. Adapt your lessons to your students life and needs.
9. Let students be aware of the objectives of each lesson so that they can realize the feeling of achievement.
10. Teach your students how to prepare and study their lessons, help them acquire good study habits at home.
11. Always provide positive feedback. Never embarrass or ridicule a student.
12. Assign homework that is specific and clearly related to the objectives of each lesson.
13. Emphasize cooperation rather than competition; support pair work and group work to create opportunities for students to help each other.
14. Teach students how to find solutions to the problems they may face.
15. Avoid practices or exercises that can cause frustration, instead adapt them to students’ level.
16. Provide rewards for unusual effort and success.
17. Establish a close relationship with students’ parents to assist their children in forming good habits at home so that they will be ready to learn at school.
18. Give your students the chance to lead a classroom activity.
19. Treat each student fairly, show no favoritism.
20. Discover your strengths, learn from mistakes and concentrate on doing your best.