Eight Steps to Teach a Listening Lesson
The EFL teachers can teach a listening lesson easily if they do eight steps in the following order:
1. Determine a reason for listening ( Assign a simple task to be done during listening) .
2. Give a general idea of the topic ( Say the title & introduce the topic ).
3. Identify the type of the speech (conversation, radio ad, passage, …) and the functions included in the text (persuade, request …)
4. Present and practice the lexis included in the text.
5. Ask students to predict the information they will listen to.
6. Activate background information & build some more knowledge related to the listening text.
7. Show & point to a visual support to assist the meaning.
8. Elicit the answer for the pre-assigned task and then give some more exercises or activities to check students’ understanding of the information included in the listening text.