Eight Practical Steps to Teach Grammar Rules
- Start with questions that lead to model sentences in which the grammatical rule is included.
E.g. How long have you been learning English?
How long have they been playing football?
How long has she been cooking pizza? Etc.
- Encouraging students to answer the questions in complete sentences using the grammatical rule and write the model sentences on the board.
- Read the sentences focusing on the main features of the rule (highlight the form with different colour or by underlining them).
- Tell students the function and the meaning of the grammatical rule, when to use it and how to apply it in communication.
- Encourage students to do some different and various exercises on the rule to familiarize them with it. Check understanding and involve as many students as possible.
- Elicit the form of the rule from students and write it on the board.
- Ask students to give more meaningful examples of the rule.
- Give more practice of the rule creating real-life situations for students to use the rule in.