A Lesson Plan to Teach Email Writing.
Email-writing aims ultimately at:
- Improving social skills ( saying “thank you”, sending an invitation, offering help or support, ………etc. )
- Asking for information informally.
- Exchanging ideas and opinions.
- Writing about some personal experience.
Here is a model for an email writing lesson plan
At the end of this lesson Ss should be able to:
- Compose a written text (an email) based on a familiar subject.
- Recognize the differences between writing a letter and writing an email.
- Discuss email-writing focusing on personal experience, reasons, advantages, feelings, form, expressions, ………
- Show the class a real model of an email (on a wall sheet, overhead projector or data show) and encourage Ss to talk about what they see.
Presentation (Introduce the rules of email-writing using the previous model of the email)
- Show Ss the box where we should write the email address of the receiver and how to write it.
- Show Ss the box where we should write the subject of the email.
- Point to the word “Dear” referring to the name of the receiver after it.
- Tell Ss what to write at the beginning of the email ( informal greeting and then tell what you are writing about )
- Ask Ss to read the body of the email and check their understanding.
- Tell Ss what to write at the end of the email (“Best regards”, …. and under it; the name of the sender )
Practice (Ss practise email-writing in pairs)
- Select with Ss a familiar subject to write an email about to a friend.
- Specify the email address and the name of the receiver and write them on the board.
- Elicit some suggested sentences to be impeded in the body of the email.
- Ask Ss to work in pairs and write the email (in a separate paper) as the model they saw before, go round to check and give help.
- Take some emails and show them to the class. Read out them and provide feedback.
- Each pair take their email to make the correction needed and then come to the front showing the class the final version and read the email aloud.
Finish the lesson:
- By reminding Ss with the rules of writing an email.
- By asking Ss to write another email at home after specifying the information needed for doing that.