Although testing has many positive effects on education and learning, it has some negative aspects that we should take into account and try to minimize them. By doing the following, teachers can make testing more productive and not a negative experience for learners:
- Explain to students the purpose of the test and stress the positive effects it has.
- Give students a lot of notices and revise the previous lessons before the test.
- Tell students that you will take into account their work in the classroom beside the test result.
- During the test time, go through the questions giving clear instructions and clarifying any specific areas of difficulty.
- Be fair and objective when marking the test and hand out the results as quickly as possible.
- Emphasize that an individual should compare their results with their own previous scores not with others in the class.