As a teacher of English, you need to test your students’ English periodically to know to what extent they learned the language. Learning English should include mainly learning vocabulary and grammar. In addition, you should test their reading comprehension and writing skill. If you want your test to be complete and comprehensive, your test should include a listening activity and a speaking task. Here are some suggestions for the questions you may include in your test:
To test knowledge of vocabulary, you can ask students to:
- Write words which relate to common topics such as family, work , school, jobs, …etc.
- Use the appropriate word from a list to fill in the space in a context.
- Match the words with their meanings.
- Choose the right word from certain options to complete a context.
To test knowledge of grammar, you can ask students to:
- Choose the right word or phrase from certain options to complete a structure.
- Change a sentence from tense to another using a clue.
- Rearrange words to make a grammatically correct sentence.
To test reading skills, you can ask students to:
- Read for skimming to answer questions on the main points of a reading passage.
- Read carefully to answer some questions on details.
- Summarize a long reading passage in two or three sentences.
- Extract some information from a short text to fill in a table.
- Read a story and then put the main events in the right order.
To test writing skills, you can ask students to:
- Write accurately certain amount of words about certain topic using correct sentence structure, word order and connectors.
- Write different kinds of written texts like essay, letter, email, story, short paragraph, etc. following the rules of writing each kind.
- Use some given guided words to write about a certain topic.
To test listening skills, you can ask students to:
- Listen for specific information in listening texts.
- Listen to short dialogues and tell the meanings of some words in context.
- Follow a listening short text and show understanding by doing the instructions included in the text.
To test speaking skills, you can ask students to:
- Speak clearly using appropriate stress and intonation.
- Pronounce words so that they can be understood.
- Describe pictures or other visual material connecting ideas together accurately and with a range of language.